This is the way I attempt to capture my vocal performance
- Rode NT2A microphone with pop shield (pop shield is essential)
- Position 6 inches to 12 inches from the pop shield
- Closed back headphones, all backing music panned 100% left, vocal monitoring panned 100% right (I find I can best hear myself by doing this)
- Mix/loudness in headphones determined to encourage singing volume/attitude appropriate to style of music (if your vocal monitoring is relatively mixed too loud, then you will tend to compensate by singing more softly … and vice versa)
- Make sure mind remains fully focused throughout take
How do you approach recording vocals?