This works for me …
- Know what I want to say about the subject matter I choose to explore in my song before I start writing my lyric
- If it helps, make a list of key points I want to (or might want to) make
- Make sure I develop my subject in a coherent way
- Let poetry come in a natural way
- Allow time for the lyric to mature
- Revisit my lyric-in-progress regularly – with fresh perspective – listen to my gut as I edit and refine
- Don’t let attachment to perceived clever rhyming or wordplay get in the way of saying what I want to say.